Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Honoring the Purple Funk that is Prince


Today millions of Purple Hippie Fans ALL over the world are celebrating Prince Rogers Nelson 53rd birthday(June 7, 1958). I am reminded how I was first introduce 2 his music at the tender age of three years old by my cousin who was living in Memphis Tennessee and when I heard is name I was like "WHAT" are you kidding me, who would name their child Prince but once I heard the MUSIC I was hooked and now at the age of Twenty-Nine I have been following him ALL of my life his music has been the soundtrack of my life, like so many others have been. But it's been something about that Minneapolis sound that I have held on to and will continue to hang on 2. I want 2 Thank GOD 4 Prince Rogers Nelson and all that he has done 4 music and the Music Industry so 2day I am Honoring the man I LOVE and who has been a BIG Inspiration and Influence N my life. I remember my very first concert which was the Emancipation concert and I was like "WHOA" he is AMAZING! my 2nd concert was the Musicology tour N 2004 and that little girl who went 2 see her first movie which was Purple Rain back N Memphis sitting N my moms lap a saying 2 myself one day I would like 2 work with him and see him perform Purple Rain live well I haven't work with him YET but my dream of him performing Purple Rain during the Musicology tour back N 2004 brought tears 2 my eyes. Prince's music has made me laugh, cry, wonder, dance and reflect on GOD and how his longevity in the business has made him stand out from other artist and musician. So here is the story on Prince Rogers Nelson. Prince Rogers Nelson was born on Saturday, June 7, 1958 to John and Mattie Nelson @ Mt. Sinai Hospital in Minnesota. His father played piano in a Jazz trio called the Prince Rogers Band and named his son after the group. John was 20 years older than Mattie, who was 24 when Prince was born. He worked by day as a plastic molder at Honeywell Computers while Mattie stayed home to raise Prince and his sister Tika Evene. Prince's parents separated when he was seven years old in 1965. The separation had a tremendous influence on Prince's life, causing him to become closer to his younger sister, whom he affectionately called 'Tyka'. Mattie remarried in 1967 to Howard Baker, whom Prince disliked instantly. As a result, Prince started running away from home at age 12, often spending time with his father or an aunt. When he was home, he spent much of his time in his room, teaching himself to play on the piano his father had left behind. As Prince put it, 'My father and me, we're the same. He's a little sick ~ just like I am!' Prince would pick out tunes and play them for his sister. At the time, his favorite tunes were from TV shows such as Batman, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., and The Munsters. This also caused Prince to become an introvert; he was considered shy and reclusive and became known as a loner.

Prince was very ambitious in school and made good grades though he is the first to admit that he never really liked it. Prince also excelled in athletics playing football, baseball and basketball. In fact, he was good enough to play junior varsity basketball at Central High School in Minneapolis. Prince also excelled in music theory, guitar class and stage band. He decided early on that he was serious about having a music career and went on to take several classes in song copywriting, recording and other music business classes. Now here some of my favorite albums
1.Purple Rain
2.Sign of the Time
3.Parade
4.Batman
5.Graffiti Bridge
6.0+>
7.Emancipation
8.Musicology
9.3121
Here is 2 of my ALL time favorite performance

Art of Musicology

Acoustic 2004 by href="http://www.dailymotion.com/samsarax" target="_blank">samsarax

Musicology 04 N Los Angeles

No comments:

Post a Comment